Friday 22 May 2009

It's The Real (Big) Thing

Bill Backer, creative director on the Coca-Cola account for McCann-Erickson was in a plane that got diverted to Ireland due to a fog in London. At the airport he got inspired by the group of passengers, sharing their experiences over the said drink. These people come from all over the world, and they're keeping each other company.

When he met up with Coca-Cola's Music Director later, he wrote on a napkin "I'd like to buy the world a Coke", where Billy Davis replied that if he could buy the world something, it'd be a home with peace and love to share.

I saw this ad once again on the UK tv recently. It was a programme about 'memorable tv commercials' and interviewed one of the lip-synching youth as she relates how they were gathered and taught the song over a few days and then the recording begun.

The ad that changed the world in 1971:



I'd like to buy the world a home
And furnish it with love
Grow apple trees and honey bees
And snow white turtle doves

I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
I'd like to buy the world a Coke
And keep it company
That's the real thing

What the world wants today
Is the real thing

1 comment:

Nixon said...

Hey, thanks for the link to your blog. This happens to be one of my all time fav ads...which I thought about recently. And here it is!