Wednesday 6 May 2009

Crying

It's not easy to say who your favourite singer-songwriter is but surely there's one who moves you either with words, melody or simply, voice.

When I first heard the song Crying I was a mere primary school kid. It was my brother (then in his early teens) who told me that voice belongs to k.d. lang. Curious it didn't bother me at all that I couldn't figure out whether she's a boy or a girl (although I was surprised to learn during that time - also from my brother - that the singer of Fast Car is indeed a woman).

The 80s' version recorded by Roy Orbison featured a duet with k.d. lang and there's a black and white video you can find on youtube.com. That being one of the most memorable duet in history, it's k.d. lang's voice that kills me. That concert she did in Singapore in 2005 reminded me what a charming and heart-breaking singer she is. Watching her sing 'Crying' live took me back in time to the eighties, how I stopped doing whatever I was doing and quietly watched her from the back of the tiny HDB living room, completely mesmerised by the emotions powered through her pipes.

Try as I might, I can't recall the programme that was broadcasted on our national tv - could it be Grammys? A concert tribute to Roy Orbison? Anyhow, I found this one on youtube where she performed live in Sydney, with tour-accompanying guitarist John 5 (ex guitarist with Marilyn Manson).



Her latest album Watershed is good but previous ones are more memorable. Hymns of the 49th Parallel is so brilliant, it hurts.

1 comment:

babypuppi said...

i like, i love. very much!