Friday 30 November 2007

Bargaining Beijing

This is my second time in Beijing. Last time was on vacation, in 2005. Both times winter. Beijing's winter is very dry and windy. It's also known for its sand and dust in the air. I nearly caught a cold but remedied with some sleep and taking cod liver oil and vitamin C supplements religiously.

It was a very easy flight and the crew fantastic. Despite our fatique we put down our baggages and headed out immediately. The taxi driver was a good chat we talked about the country and its people, its immigrants, even learned how China's capital punishments were carried out! It seems everywhere I go people regard Singapore as a beautiful city. When passengers ask where I'm from they say "Aahhh... Singapore! Beautiful and clean!". Thank you, thank you. Glad you like it. I like it, too.



We went to Wang Fu Jing for a walk and had numerous kinds of snacks along the food street. My favourite was the meat ball soup and sour noodles. Advertisements and mascots of the 2008 Olympics are everywhere.

Next day while some went for their great walk on the Great Wall we went to Silk Market to test our bargaining skills. Good if you speak Mandarin you can avoid having the shop people shouting broken English at you. I bought a dress meant for export for Forever 21 at 120 yuan, two tops (140 yuan) and a bag (100 yuan). I guess I'm not that great a haggler. Stuff there are mostly fakes so it's a hunt to avoid tacky items. Some China-made shoes like metallic flats and colourful wedges are cute but didn't get the chance to try them on. Maybe next time. In fact, it'll be next month!

I spent all my allowance on DVDs later. I am pleased with my purchase of Grey's Anatomy box set Seasons 1-3 (for personal collection). Also Ugly Betty box set, and Hairspray the musical. Can't wait to watch them all.

No comments: