Friday 31 August 2007

The Shanghai Stock Up





Despite feeling a bit under the weather I decided to brace up for the Shanghai trip. Back two mornings ago, worn out from the 8+ hour full flight of demanding/unreasonable passengers, e.g. "I want to see your senior... your boss... I want to complain, look at this! (pointing at his knees indicating the lack of good leg room)". Poor guy, perhaps he doesn't know that a premium class seat would've spared him of such mean torture.

Another couple was pretending they're in royal class, determined to give us crew a hard time. Not the least discreet verbalising their opinions of our "bad services", demanding water when I'm stuffing trays into the cart, not to mention they left their dirty trays right in front of the emergency exit (which is a total brainless act) so that their spaces seem prestine. They demanded Chammomile tea which, depending on schedule and passenger's profile we crew would gladly fetch from Business cabin.

My advise to the delusive couple: Wake up! You're just make-believing cheapskates sitting at one of the exits so you can stretch your stinky legs. Be thankful that you're served drinks and hot meals with a big smile from us despite your sour faces, offering you blankets and making sure you're entertained and taken care of, on top of having to save your sorry asses should an emergency arise because you would be freaking out or tripping over your own dirty trays on your way out to survival.

Having said this I am not indicating that the other economy passengers are cheapskates because they too paid for hefty flight tickets except they have realistic expectations. I travel on economy, and I let myself be surprised with what I get (over 500 channels? Woo hoo!). Mainly I am grateful that I can get from point A to point B safely and quite comfortably.

On a happier note, I enjoyed a very good layover, returning with a suitcase full of Chinese goodies, too.

The last time I went to Shanghai was in year 2000. It was in March, weather was still cold. This time round it's humid and warm, about 29 degree celcius. We managed to avoid the rain during our stay. Soon after checking in and a nice hot shower I dozed off in front of the tv. It's only 8pm but my body's telling me to recuperate. (Though I woke up at 2am, watched a movie I can't recall now, and fell asleep again at 6am).



At 8am I went out with Sarinluck (from Thailand, she lives in the same apartment back in Dubai) for local classic breakfast of century egg congee, soy milk and you-tiao. After surveying the area around our hotel a little we set off for the shuttle bus that takes us to the Science and Technology Museum. There underground around the metro station lies the new famous market - previously known as Xiang Yang Market. People come here mainly for the supposed 'grade AA' fake goods. Me and a few other crew we're just there for a look-see. I bought some nice Chinese tea, a Le Sportsac bag I hope is just an excess stock from the factory, and a set of paintings by a village folk themed the four seasons. The artist had won in a competition for this series and I'm sure the vivid colours would liven up my new bedroom.

The bigger haul happens when we later visit the Century Mart (next to our hotel in Pudong). We raided the aisles for traditional Chinese preserved/dried foods, noodles, beverages and other Asian snacks. Cheap and original, it was harvest. We had just enough of our allowance by the time we check out at the cashiers, and about 20kg cargo baggage on departure.

I'll try to visit the Bund next time I'm there. I miss the walk by the river.

Photos are here.

3 comments:

verywanderful said...

Allo tourist hur? Bought so much things. Like fun hor!

whimmykimmy said...

Yah it is! The thrill of acquiring goods at cheap prices! If you look carefully they are mostly daily/essential items like erm, food. Some of them I will chuck into suitcase, real handy when stranded in some hotel rooms and too lazy to go out. (I recommend the Nong Shin noodles here, very yummy!)

Davester said...

mm shanghainese food...