Saturday 28 July 2007

Wake Up to Athens

On 24th morning 6am I was woken up by a phone call (which I nearly mistook as an alarm - God forbid!) from scheduling telling me I have a flight to Athens. Bus arriving in one hour. I thought I heard wrong. Groggy, I asked the voice to repeat the flight details and pick up time. Then I'm wide awake and straight to the shower.

A great flight and several hours later I arrived in Greece. In the peak of Summer, it's 40 degrees celsius. Despite the scorching heat a few of us crew ventured out for some sightseeing. First stop The Acropolis - it was a significant sight, the must-see in Athens. Visitors go wild with cameras shooting every angle of every rock. One Polish tourist could not withstand the heat and fainted right under my nose, we lend a hand right away laying her down , loosen her clothes, lift her legs and fan at her face. Fortunately she gained consciousness quickly though she must realised she's been drenched in water by her family in an attempt to revive her.

Princess (yes that's her name!) from Philippines and I were eager to do more sight seeing. She's an avid photographer with a Multiply site to prove. Together we hop on the tour bus stopping at the Archaeological Museum, Omonoia and Temple of Olympian Zeus before heading back to the hotel.

The next morning Princess and I took a nice idyllic walk around Monastiraki where the flea market and more sights are located. As I was telling Princess the day before, the locals seem to take some kinda fascination towards Asians (I've noticed strange glances at us). Then evidently this young Greek guy spoke to me shyly "Singapore... Where's that? You're Chinese? When I see a Chinese girl I just dunno what to do... Why are you leaving so soon. Wo Ai Ni." Cute, but I have more important things to do - I have souveniors to purchase and more photos to take just like any other tourists would.


Athens is nice. Would've been nicer if it was Autumn or Spring. I hope to visit again, and maybe this time I'll agree to have coffee with that shy fella.

See all Athens photos.

No comments: